Rules and Regulations
Have you been inspired by this year’s MIST theme? The prepared essay competition is perfect if you’re looking for an outlet. This is your chance to be creative and persuade us on the significance of your chosen topic. Share the passion!
The following is a list of rules and procedures for this category. Failure to fulfill these obligations and/or any violation of them may result in point loss.
- A limit of two (2) students from each team may register for this competition. Each student competes individually, so collaboration is not permitted.
- The written essay must be typed or word-processed and double-spaced. It must be on white, 8.5 X 11 paper and must be stapled in the left corner.
- The essay MUST have a cover page. The cover page must include the title and MIST ID only. The contestant name must not appear anywhere on the submission.
- If outside sources are used, proper MLA citations as well as a “Works Cited” page must be included in the essay.
- A PDF copy of the written essay must be emailed to your Regional Competitions Headquarters one (1) week before the Regional Tournament. Late submissions will result in a point deduction on your final score. Your region may have different deadlines for this competition. Contact your Regional Competitions Headquarters for more information.
- Some regions require three (3) copies of the written essay to be taken to MIST and turned in by the competitor to the event section leader at the competitor’s orientation. Contestants are solely responsible for bringing their own copies. Contact your Regional Competitions Headquarters for more information.
- The written essay shall be a minimum of 1,500 words and a maximum of 2,000 words. All abbreviations, acronyms (excluding a, an, the) will be counted. Only the first 2,000 countable words will be read.
- Competitors will be judged according to the Prepared Essay Ballot.
● PDF copy of written essay and written statement emailed to your Regional Competitions Headquarters 2 weeks prior to the
tournament if your region conducts advanced judging. Not sure? Contact them and find out!
● 3 copies of the Prepared Essay if your region requires it.
● Written statement based on interview questions (Section D of Prepared Essay Ballot).
● Both the submission and the written statement should be clearly labeled with:
○ MIST IDs
○ Name of Competition
Please refer to the rulebook for complete details and ballot information